Adults|Grammar|Elementary|27. Comparative Adjectives
A car and a bike are both fast, but which one is faster? Which one is more expensive?
- Jake is 15, Alice is 17, and Charlie is 25. Alice is older than Jake, but she is younger than Charlie.
- The watch costs $25, and the book costs $7. The watch is more expensive than the book.
|short adjectives + -er||old → older
nice → nicer
big → bigger
|short adjectives ending in -y: -y => -i + —er||easy → easier
heavy → heavier
noisy → noisier
|more + long adjectives (2 + syllables)||expensive → more expensive
polite → more polite
careful → more careful
|irregular||good → better
bad → worse
far → farther/further
- Use comparatives/comparative adjectives to compare things and people to each other.
➢ My house is bigger than Mike’s.
➢ His sister is more careful than him.
- Use than before the thing you compare to.
➢ I run faster than Ellie does.
➢ Ellie can jump higher and farther than me.
|✔️ This task is easier than the last one.
✔️ The blue book is better than the red one.
Type the comparative form of the adjectives
Complete the sentences by using the comparative adjective + than
Correct the mistakes where necessary
Order the words to make correct sentences with comparative adjectives and than
than It’s mine smaller
Jane’s dog is small.
It’s smaller than mine.
If you open the lesson plan you will be able to assign separate pages as homework or all the homework pages at once.
- Theory: Comparative Adjectives
- Type the comparative form
- Complete the sentences
- Correct the mistakes
- Order the words
- 1. Introductory lessons|Welcome! Your Personal Track
- 2. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|1. Present Tense. To be. Positive
- 3. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|2. Present. To be. Negative
- 4. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|3. Present Tense. To be. Questions
- 5. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|4. Possessive Determiners
- 6. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|5. Articles
- 7. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|6. Present Simple. All Verbs. Positive
- 8. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|7. Present Simple. All Verbs. Negative
- 9. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|8. Present Simple. Questions
- 10. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|9. Possessive's
- 11. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|10. Telling the time
- 12. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|11. Adverbs of frequency
- 13. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|12. Can/can't
- 14. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|13. Like doing
- 15. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|14. Object pronouns
- 16. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|15. Possessive pronouns
- 17. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|16. Past Simple (To be)
- 18. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|17. Past Simple: regular verbs
- 19. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|18. Past Simple: irregular verbs
- 20. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|19. There is/There are
- 21. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|20. There was/There were
- 22. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|21. Present Continuous
- 23. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|22. Present Simple, Present Continuous
- 24. Adults|Grammar|Elementary| 23. Countable / uncountable nouns
- 25. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|24. Quantifiers
- 26. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|25. Be going to (plans)
- 27. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|26. Be going to (predictions)
- 28. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|27. Comparative Adjectives
- 29. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|28. Superlative Adjectives
- 30. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|29. Adverbs
- 31. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|30. Present Perfect
- 32. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|31. Irregular Verbs
- 33. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|32. Prepositions
- 34. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|33. Am/is/are — questions
- 35. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|34. I am doing
- 36. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|35. Are you doing?
- 37. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|36. I do/work/like etc.
- 38. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|37. I don't...
- 39. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|38. Do you...
- 40. Adults|Grammar|Elementary|39. Am/is/are
- 41. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|1. First Conditional
- 42. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|2. Second Conditional
- 43. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|3. First & Second Conditional
- 44. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|7. Pr Perfect vs Past Simple
- 45. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|8. Used to or Didn't use to
- 46. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|9. To be + Past participle
- 47. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|10. Defining Relative Clauses
- 48. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|11. Past Simple
- 49. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|12. Past Continuous
- 50. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|13. Questions and Auxiliaries
- 51. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|14. Conjunctions
- 52. Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|15. Going to