Adults|Spoken|Upper-Intermediate|14. Healthy lifestyle
Look at the pictures and answer the questions
- Which of the health issues suggested in the photographs do you think help us to live longer?
- What is a healthy lifestyle for you? Why?
- What other ways of staying healthy and fit do you know?
- Do you do anything to be healthy? What?
- Do you always take drugs when you’re ill? Why?
Describe the pictures
Look at the table and answer the questions
(source: World Health Organisation)
- Why do you think there are differences between the different countries?
- Why do women live longer than men?
- What could people do to live longer?
- What might be the numbers in your country?
Look at the table and discuss the diets of the following people
|energy (Kcal)||protein (g)||carbohy-drates (g)||fat (g)||calcium (mg)||vitamin C (mg)|
|chocolate chip cookie||78||0,9||9||4,5||6,2||0|
Example: I think pasta should be part of an athlete’s diet because it’s a high energy food and it’s high in carbohydrates and low in fat. Moreover, they should also eat chicken and fish as they are high in protein.
- an athlete
- an old person
- a student
- a person who’s on a diet
Make true sentences about your eating habits
Example: I don’t really eat dairy products on a daily basis.
fruit & salads
|all the time
when on a diet
on a daily basis
Rank the following in order of importance
Make sentences with the words in the picture
Rearrange the phrases in the correct order to make a short story
I know I’m a hypochondriac, but I’m certain it’s caused by a brain tumor.
Do the quiz
I looked up my symptoms on the Internet and I’m worried that I might be dead!
How much of a hypochondriac are you?
Read the definitions and answer the questions
1. Iridology — looking at someone’s eyes and studying the iris to help diagnose health problems.
2. Homeopathy — taking a very low dose of what makes us ill can cure us — such as pollen for an allergy.
3. Cryotherapy — putting a person in an extremely cold place for a short period can help with pain.
4. Acupuncture — putting thin needles in special parts of a person’s body to help with health problems.
- Have you heard of any of these?
- Do you know any other alternative therapies? Which one?
- Have you tried any?
- Which therapy do you find the most unusual? Why?
Listen to the audio and do the task
Roll the dice twice and answer the questions
Find your question by rolling your dice twice. The 1st roll determines the number on the top. The 2nd roll determines the number on the left. Talk for one minute about that topic. If you land on «Ask your partner» you can ask your teacher any question according to the topic «Healthy Lifestyle».
Read the model essay. Pay attention to the prompts given
Write an essay agreeing or disagreeing with the statement. Use the prompts above and the words and phrases below
- Some people claim that…
- It is often said that…
- However, in my view/opinion, …
- However, on balance, …
- Firstly, it is clear that…
- There is a strong argument for …
- While it is true / Although it may be said that…
- To clarify the point, there is…
- From my point of view / in my view,
- It seems clear to me that…
- Finally, it is important to remember / must be remembered that…
- Lastly, I feel that…
- To sum up / In conclusion, it seems to me that…
«Doing something you love makes you happy and healthy»
- Modern survival
- Healthy eating
- Healthy lifestyle
- Bill of health
- Alternative medicine
- Healthy talk