Business|Adults|Pre-Int|11. Outsourcing and offshoring
Read the quotation and answer the questions
«Instead of outsourcing raw materials from another company, Chanel has its own farm which produces its own raw materials.»
— Alain Wertheimer
1. What is outsourcing ?
2. What kinds of services do companies outsource?
3. Which regions of the world are well-known for providing outsourcing services for companies in the West?
4. What’s the difference between outsourcing and offshoring?
5. Does your company outsource any work?
6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing a production process?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of offshoring?
Skim the article to get a general idea of what it is about. Choose the paragraph number below to show where you read about the following
Waratah is a clothing company based in Sydney, Australia. The company experienced problems when it tried to outsource its production in Sydney and also when it produced the clothes itself (in-house production). Their clothes are now made outside Australia.
Complete the table with the advantages and disadvantages below
Choose the correct answer to the questions below
Part 5 Multiple choice
This part tests candidates’ reading for gist and specific information and presents a single text accompanied by six multiple-choice comprehension questions.
The text is informative and is often taken from a leaflet or a newspaper or magazine article. Candidates are expected to employ more complex reading strategies in this task, in which they should demonstrate their ability:
- to extract relevant information,
- to read for gist and detail,
- to scan the text for specific information,
- and to understand the purpose of the writer and the audience for which the text is intended.
Read the article again and choose the correct answer for each of the questions
Read the information about the speakers. Then listen to the conversation and decide what is outsourced for each company
Tony McGregor works for an advertising agency. Irma Badami works for a small pharmaceutical company. They are discussing what is outsourced in their companies.
Read the exam tips
3-Option Multiple choice
This part contains a longer listening text which generally takes the form of an interview, or a discussion between two or possibly more speakers. This piece of listening is heard twice.
There are eight 3-option multiple-choice questions on the question paper and these are always in a written format.
In this part of the Listening component, candidates are being tested on their ability to:
- understand the gist of a longer text;
- extract detailed information;
- extract specific information as required by the questions.
Candidates may also be tested on the speakers’ opinions.
Choose the correct answers to the questions below
You will hear a conversation between Tony and Irma again. For each question choose the correct answer
I want to discuss outsourcing in…
Listen to the Deloitte company predictions on the outsourcing in the year of 2000 and fill in the spaces with the missing phrases
Read the article again and choose True or False
Match the following synonyms from the article
Fill in the gaps with some of the words below
Read the situation
You are a director of a financial company. At the moment, you are trying to cut expenses on bookkeepers. You are considering the outsourcing in your company. That is why you recently contacted an outsourcing company Book-it requesting what they offer.
Below is a part of the letter that you received from Mr. Dowson, a Marketing Manager.
Write a letter to Mr. Dawson
In your letter:
- Use appropriate salutation.
- Ask for product demonstration and outsourced staff discussion at your workplace.
- Explain why you are interested in one of the additional products.
- Suggest the possible date for a meeting.
- Use appropriate closing remarks.
Write 60–80 words. Do not include any postal addresses.
- What's outsourcing?
- Exam tip Reading Part 5
- Reading Part 5 drilling
- Do you outsource?
- Exam tip Listening Part 4
- Outsourcing discussion
- Deloitte company
- More words to learn
- Book-it outsourcing