GE|Adults|Beginner|17. What am I doing?
1.1 Look at the pictures and complete the phrases. Use the words from the line.
close / drive / call / check into / wait
1.1 Match the places with the pictures.
1.2 Amanda is going to New York to work. Jeremy, her boyfriend, wants to talk to her. Listen to the phone conversations. Write where the conversations take place. What does Jeremy want to tell Amanda?
Amanda and Jeremy
1.3 Listen to the conversation. What does Jeremy want to tell to Amanda?
Ten minutes later
2.1 Read the conversations. What do you think the words in bold type mean: a) the actions that happen every day; b) the actions that are going on?
1. Amanda: Hello!
Jeremy: Hi! Amanda?
Amanda: Jeremy, I’m driving. I can’t talk. Call me in half an hour.
Jeremy: Oh, bye.
2. Jeremy: Hello? Amanda?
Amanda: I’m sorry, Jeremy. I’m on the plane. They’re closing the door. Call me later.
3. Jeremy: What is now?
Amanda: I’m waiting at passport control now.
Jeremy: OK. Bye.
4. Jeremy: Amanda? Can you talk now?
Amanda: Hello. Sorry, Jeremy…
Jeremy: What are you doing?
Amanda: I’m checking in. I’m in the hotel. Call me in 10 minutes.
2.2 Read the rule. Listen and repeat the examples.
When we talk about things that are happening now/ at the moment of speach, we use be+verb with the ending ing: I’m driving. I can’t talk.
1) Most verbs : verb +-ing: eating, reading.
Example: I am eating pizza .
She is reading a book.
2) Verbs ending in e lose e: drive— driving, cycle-cycling
Example: She is driving a car.
He isn’t cycling now.
3) Verbs with one vowel+one consonant double consonant + ing: swim— swimming, shop -shopping.
Example: He is swimming now.
She is shopping.
Don’t double x and w!
snow — snowing
I’m doing housework now.
(+) I’m doing housework now. (-) I’m not doing housework now.
(+) You‘re playing volleyball now. (-) You aren’t playing volleyball now.
(+) He‘s playing computer games with children. (-) He isn’t playing computer games with children.
(+) She‘s cooking dinner now. (-) She isn’t cooking dinner now.
(+) It‘s snowing. (-) It isn’t snowing.
(+) We‘re playing snowballs. (-) We aren’t playing snowballs.
(+) They‘re having breakfast now. (-) They aren’t having breakfast now.
(?) Are you playing volleyball now?
(?) Is it snowing?
(?) Are they having breakfast now? — Yes, they are./ No, they aren’t.
(?) What are you doing now?
(+) Subject + be + Ving: He is watching TV now.
(-) Subject + be + not + Ving: He isn’t watching TV now.
(?) Be + subject + Ving: Is he watching TV now.
(?) Question- word + be+ subject + Ving: What is he doing?
3.1 Listen. What is Amanda doing?
3.2 Open the brackets in present continuous.
Example: She (have) a bath.
She is having a bath.
3.3 Open the brackets in present continuous. Use the contractions.
1.1 Listen and repeat the dialogues.
What are you doing?
1.2 Listen and repeat the dialogues.
Amanda and Jeremy
1.3 Look at the photos. Ask and answer the questions in present continuous.
Example: What is he doing?
He is eating yoghurt.
1.1 Listen and repeat the verbs and phrases.
Get a taxi
1.2 Look at the pictures. Complete the phrases.
1.3 Make up the sentences in present continuous.
Example: She/pack/a suitcase.
She is packing a suitcase.
1.1 Listen to the dialogues. What are these people doing?
1.2 Listen to the audio again and choose the correct answer.
1.1 Amanda and her sister, Zoe, are going to buy presents for their parents. Read Amanda’s messages. Find Zoe’s answers in the chart.
1.2 Listen and check.
Amanda and Zoe
1.3 Mark the sentences T(true) or F(false).
1.1 Look at the pictures. What are the people doing?
1.2 Think about your family. What are they doing now?
Example: I think my mother’s having lunch at work.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Tick the verbs constructed according to the same rule. / Отметь глаголы, образованные по одинаковому правилу.
1.2 Open the brackets using present continuous. / Открой скобки, используя Present Continuous.
Example: They (swim) now.
They are swimming now.
2.1 Write the verbs and what the people are doing. / Напиши глаголы и что люди делают согласно фото.
1. d… a coffee — drink a coffee
She is drinking a coffee.
2.2 Learn these useful words and phrases. Use the dictionary. / Выучи эти полезные слова и фразы. Используй словарь.
half an hour
See you in 10 minutes.
a lot of traffic
I’m really sorry.
call somebody (= phone)
3.1 Click on the icon below and learn new words with Quizlet app. / Кликни по иконке ниже и учи новые слова в мобильном приложении Quizlet.
- 1. GE|Adults|Beginner|1. Nice to meet you!
- 2. GE|Adults|Beginner|2. Where are you from?
- 3. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 1: Can you spell it?
- 4. GE|Adults|Beginner|3. We're Americans
- 5. GE|Adults|Beginner|4. What's your phone number?
- 6. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 1-4
- 7. GE|Adults|Beginner|5. What's in your bag?
- 8. GE|Adults|Beginner|6. Souvenirs and prices
- 9. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 2: How much is it?
- 10. GE|Adults|Beginner|7. People and family
- 11. GE|Adults|Beginner|8. Common adjectives
- 12. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 5-8
- 13. GE|Adults|Beginner|9. What do you have for breakfast?
- 14. GE|Adults|Beginner|10. A long flight
- 15. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 3: What's the time?
- 16. GE|Adults|Beginner|11. What do you do?
- 17. GE|Adults|Beginner|12. My typical day
- 18. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 9-12
- 19. GE|Adults|Beginner|13. Free time in our life
- 20. GE|Adults|Beginner|14. Cinema
- 21. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 4: How can I get there?
- 22. GE|Adults|Beginner|15. I can do it!
- 23. GE|Adults|Beginner|16. Do you like cycling?
- 24. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 13-16
- 25. GE|Adults|Beginner|17. What am I doing?
- 26. GE|Adults|Beginner|18. The Secret Mission
- 27. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 5: Would you like a cup of coffee?
- 28. GE|Adults|Beginner|19. In a hotel
- 29. GE|Adults|Beginner|20. Famous people
- 30. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 6: Where am I?
- 31. GE|Adults|Beginner|21. It was my dream
- 32. GE|Adults|Beginner|22. One day
- 33. GE|Adults|Beginner|23. I Rode A Camel!
- 34. GE|Adults|Beginner|24. I'm going to Vatican
- 35. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 17-24