GE|Adults|Beginner|19. In a hotel
1.1 Look at the photo of a hotel. Would you like to stay there? Why/ why not?
’How to say’ phrases:
- I’d like to… because…
- I find the hotel (beautiful, old-fashioned etc.)
- I think it is…
1.1 Look at the photo of a bedroom. Can you name the objects in the room? Then click on the hotspots to see the names of these objects.
1.2 Match the words and pictures.
1.3 Listen and repeat the words in a hotel room. Then match the words with the pictures.
1.4 Listen and repeat the words.
In the UK people say
ground floor = the floor of a building which is level with the ground
A lot of people also say “bathroom” or “restroom” instead of ‘toilets’.
2.1 Look at the photos and try to complete the words. Use the articles a/the where it is necessary.
2.2 Answer the questions. Use the words in brackets.
Example: Where is the bar? — It’s on (2nd floor).
Where is the bar? — It’s on the second floor.
1.1 Listen to the conversation. Tick the things the hotel has and the things it doesn’t have.
2.1 Read and listen to the conversation again. Look at the phrases in bold. Choose what they mean.
Andy: Hello. Do you have a room for two days?
Receptionist: Let’s see. Yes, there’s a room on the third floor.
Laura: Great. Can we see it?
Receptionist: Yes. Come with me.
Andy: Is there a lift?
Receptionist: I’m sorry, no, there isn’t. But I can help you with your suitcases… This is the room.
Laura: I like it. It’s beautiful.
Andy: Yes, I like it, too.
Receptionist: Here is the bathroom. There’s a shower inside.
Laura: Is there a bar?
Receptionist: No, there isn’t a bar. But there’s a restaurant in the hotel. And there are some pubs in the town.
Andy: Are there any gift shops near here?
Receptionist: No, sir, there aren’t any gift shops near the hotel.
Andy: OK, thanks.
Receptionist: Enjoy your stay.
Laura: Thank you.
2.2 Read the rule. Listen and repeat the examples.
(+) There’s a remote control.
There’s a bath.
(-) There isn’t a shower.
There isn’t a lamp.
(?) Is there a bath?
Yes, there is.
Is there a shower?
No, there isn’t.
(+) There are two towels.
There are some lamps.
(-) There aren’t any shops.
There aren’t any photos.
(?) Are there any towels?
Yes, there are.
Are there any shops?
No, there aren’t.
There are some lamps in the room.
There aren’t any lamps in the room.
Are there any lamps in the room?
3.1 Complete the sentences. Use a, some, any.
Example: Is there … shower in the room?
Is there a shower in the room?
3.2 Complete the sentences with there’s or there are in the correct form (+), (-) or (?).
Example: … any cakes on the table.
There aren’t any cakes on the table.
1.1 Listen and repeat the sounds and words.
the letters ear can be [eə]: chair or [ɪə]: ear
1.2 Listen and repeat the sentences.
2.1 Listen and repeat the dialogue.
2.2 Make up the sentences about your room and your work/school with the words in the chart.
lamps, photos, a TV, flowers, a kitchen, towels, a remote control, a shower;
toilets, a garden, a bar, a gym, a restaurant, reception, a car park;
Example: There are some lamps in my room.
There are some toilets at work.
1.1 Look at the pictures. Where are the cats? Use in, under or on for each picture.
1.2 Where are the pillows?
Example: The pillows are on the bed.
Writing and Speaking
1.1 Make up the questions with there’s and there are. Use the words in the chart.
lamps, a cupboard, photos, pillows, a bed, chairs, a remote control, newspapers, TV, a wardrobe
Example: Are there any lamps in the room?
1.2 Answer the questions about the things in your bedroom. Use in, on, under.
Example: Is there a wardrobe in your bedroom? Where is it?
Yes, there is. It’s on the floor./No, there isn’t.
1. Is there a bed in your bedroom? Where is it?
2. Are there any books in your bedroom? Where are they?
3. Are there any flowers in your bedroom? Where are they?
4. Are there any pictures in your bedroom? Where are they?
5. Is there a table in your bedroom? Where is it?
6. Is there a laptop in your bedroom? Where is it?
7. Is there a TV in your bedroom? Where is it?
8. Is there a lamp in your bedroom? Where is it?
1.3 Look at the picture and ask the questions. Use the words in the chart.
a pillow, a bed, a table, lamps, flowers, chair, window, pictures, oranges
Example: Is there a pillow on the bed?
2.1 Look at the pictures. Write where the things are.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Speak the words in English (with articles a/the where it is necessary). / Проговори слова на английском языке (с артиклями a/the где это необходимо).
*The task is available only in Chrome browser. Use the microphone to do this. / Задание доступно только в браузере Chrome. Используй микрофон для его выполнения.
1.2 Complete the sentences with the words from the chart. / Составь предложения со словами из вложения.
2.1 Look at the photo and write the sentences. Use there’s a/an and there are some. / Посмотри на фото и напиши предложения. Используй there’s a/an и there are some.
Example: … pillows.
There are some pillows.
2.2 Look at the picture. Ask and answer the questions. / Посмотри на изображения. Составь вопросы и дай на них ответы.
Example: King and Queen beds
Are there any King and Queen beds?
Yes, there are.
2.3 Make the sentences negative. / Составь предложения в отрицательной форме.
Example: There are trees in the car park.
There aren’t any trees in the car park.
3.1 Listen and tick the words in the same sound. / Послушай аудио и отметь слова с одинаковым звучанием.
3.2 Listen again and repeat the words. / Послушай снова и повтори слова.
3.3 Write where the things are. Use in, on, under. / Напиши, где расположены предметы. Используй in, on, under.
Example: The book is … the table.
The book is on the table.
3.4 Listen to the conversation. Complete the sentences. / Послушай разговор. Составь предложения.
Jason and Receptionist
4.1 Learn these useful phrases. Use the dictionary. / Выучи эти полезные фразы. Используй словарь.
a single bed
a double bed
on the ground floor
a great view
Enjoy your stay.
5.1 Click on the icon below and learn new words with Quizlet app. / Кликни по иконке ниже и учи новые слова в мобильном приложении Quizlet.
- Writing and Speaking
- 1. GE|Adults|Beginner|1. Nice to meet you!
- 2. GE|Adults|Beginner|2. Where are you from?
- 3. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 1: Can you spell it?
- 4. GE|Adults|Beginner|3. We're Americans
- 5. GE|Adults|Beginner|4. What's your phone number?
- 6. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 1-4
- 7. GE|Adults|Beginner|5. What's in your bag?
- 8. GE|Adults|Beginner|6. Souvenirs and prices
- 9. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 2: How much is it?
- 10. GE|Adults|Beginner|7. People and family
- 11. GE|Adults|Beginner|8. Common adjectives
- 12. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 5-8
- 13. GE|Adults|Beginner|9. What do you have for breakfast?
- 14. GE|Adults|Beginner|10. A long flight
- 15. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 3: What's the time?
- 16. GE|Adults|Beginner|11. What do you do?
- 17. GE|Adults|Beginner|12. My typical day
- 18. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 9-12
- 19. GE|Adults|Beginner|13. Free time in our life
- 20. GE|Adults|Beginner|14. Cinema
- 21. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 4: How can I get there?
- 22. GE|Adults|Beginner|15. I can do it!
- 23. GE|Adults|Beginner|16. Do you like cycling?
- 24. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 13-16
- 25. GE|Adults|Beginner|17. What am I doing?
- 26. GE|Adults|Beginner|18. The Secret Mission
- 27. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 5: Would you like a cup of coffee?
- 28. GE|Adults|Beginner|19. In a hotel
- 29. GE|Adults|Beginner|20. Famous people
- 30. GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 6: Where am I?
- 31. GE|Adults|Beginner|21. It was my dream
- 32. GE|Adults|Beginner|22. One day
- 33. GE|Adults|Beginner|23. I Rode A Camel!
- 34. GE|Adults|Beginner|24. I'm going to Vatican
- 35. GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 17-24