GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
1.1 Look at the phrase. What can you tell about the most memorable day in your life?
1.1 Read the texts and match them with a photo.
Why do we remember some days in our lives?
Is it because we visited a great party, heard wonderful news, met old friends, danced a lot, relaxed, or just stayed at home with our family?
Here are two stories about a day to remember…
Ivan Popov from Russia
1/ She asked me to walk with her around the city. We talked a lot and couldn’t stop.
2/ So we went to a cozy café and ordered teo glasses of cold tea.
3/ It was a very warm day and we decided to drink something cold.
4/ It was in May five years ago when I was on holidays in Australia.
5/ I came back to the hotel at 1 a.m.
6/ I felt strange because I dadn’t expect to see her there.
7/ I wanted to see a woman that I knew a little from the time when I was at university. She was Australian and she lived in Sydney. I called her five or six times, but she didn’t answer. It was my last day in Sydney when she suddenly came to my hotel.
8/ I couldn’t believe that she came to me and spent the whole day with me. My holidays were fantastic.
Julia Carrol from Germany
1/ My friends gave me some money so I took taxi to the hotel.
2/ Anyway it was the best day of my life, because I had so much fun!
3/ When we decided to leave the club I noticed that someone stole my purse. I was very upset.
4/ It was the best day of my life.
5/ I was at my friend’s birthday party.
6/ We went to a nice club called «Muzique». It was a new club with an amazing DJ. We had fun and danced a lot.
7/ It was my last year in Canada. I lived there because I worked in a company. But my contract was almost over.
8/ I wore a white skirt, a red blouse and sandals.
2.1 Read the texts again. Read the questions and find answers in the texts.
1. What time did Ivan come back?
2. What was the weather like? (both stories)
3. What did Julia wear?
4. Where was it? (both stories)
5. What did Julia do?
6. Who were Ivan with?
7. Why was it memorable for Julia/Ivan? (both stories)
1.1 Look at the texts again and find the past tense of these irregular verbs.Then write them down.
1.2 Listen and repeat the irregular verbs.
1.3 Read the rule.
1. Use the irregular past form only in + sentences:
—She spoke to him.
2. Use the infinitive after did/didn’t:
—Did you meet her yesterday?
—I didn’t go out last night.
3. Remember word order in questions = ASI (Auxiliary, Subject, Infinitive) or QUASI (Question word, Auxiliary, Subject, Infinitive).
-Did you have a good day?
-What did you do yesterday?
Past of can = could
— = couldn’t NOT
+ = Could you…? NOT
Did you can?
1.4 Complete the text with the verbs in brackets in Past Simple.
2.1 Make the questions to the answers.
Example: What did you buy yesterday? I bought fish.
2.2 Choose the correct negative.
Example: She bought cheese. – She didn’t buy cheese.
2.3 Answer the questions about the most memorable day of your life.
1. When and where was it?
2. Who were you with? Why?
3. What clothes did you wear?
4. What time did you get home?
1.1 You are going to listen to Samantha from Texas talking about her memorable day. Where was she? Why was it a memorable day?
Samantha and interviewer
1.2 Listen again and correct the information.
Example: It was on 14th of June. No, it was on 4th of July.
1.1 Read the information about go, have and get.
1. Use go with:
-by bus/by car/by plane
-for a walk
-home (from school)
-out (on Friday night)
-to a restaurant
-to bed (late)
-to church/to mosque
-to the beach
-back (to work)
2. Use have with:
-a good time
-a shower/a bath/a swim
3. Use get with:
-a newspaper (=buy)
-a taxi/a bus/a train (=take)
-an email/a letter (=receive)
1.2 Fill in the gaps with a correct verb: get, go or have.
1.3 Say three things you did yesterday and three you did last week with went, had, or got.
Example: Yesterday I went to church. I got up early and had breakfast at home.
1.1 Look at the questions. What words are missing?
1.2 Listen and repeat the questions. Copy the rhythm.
Speaking and Writing
1.1 Answer the questions.
1. When was it?
2. Where were you?
3. What did you wear?
4. Where did you go?
5. What did you do?
6. What was the weather like?
7. What time did you get home?
8. Why was it a memorable day?
1.2 Write about your memorable day. Use the questions given above.
My memorable day
1.3 Listen to the song and fill in the gaps.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Change the sentences from the present to the past.
*Переделай предложения из настоящего времени в прошедшее.
1.2 Complete the questions.
2.1 Choose the incorrect expression.
*Выбери неправильное выражение.
3.1 Listen to the interview about Jessica’s memorable day. Mark the sentences as true or false.
*Послушай интервью про памятный день Джессики. Отметь предложения как Правда/Ложь.
Interviewer and Jessica
- Speaking and Writing
- 1. GE|Adults|Elementary|1. Let's meet again!
- 2. GE|Adults|Elementary|2. To be, countries
- 3. GE|Adults|Elementary|3. Can you repeat that, please?
- 4. GE|Adults|Elementary|4. Daily routines
- 5. GE|Adults|Elementary|5. Can you describe it?
- 6. GE|Adults|Elementary|6. Feelings and emotions. How do you feel?
- 7. GE|Adults|Elementary|7. I usually do?
- 8. GE|Adults|Elementary|8. Occupations
- 9. GE|Adults|Elementary|9. Asking questions. Dating
- 10. GE|Adults|Elementary|10. Family
- 11. GE|Adults|Elementary|11. Daily activities
- 12. GE|Adults|Elementary|12. Adverbs and expressions of frequency
- 13. GE|Adults|Elementary|13. Can you sing?
- 14. GE|Adults|Elementary|14. Stop making that noise!
- 15. GE|Adults|Elementary|15. What's the weather like today?
- 16. GE|Adults|Elementary|16. Let's read in English
- 17. GE|Adults|Elementary|17. Pastimes we love
- 18. GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
- 19. GE|Adults|Elementary|19. A mistake!
- 20. GE|Adults|Elementary|20. People who made a different
- 21. GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
- 22. GE|Adults|Elementary|22. The case of a room murder
- 23. GE|Adults|Elementary|23. A house with a secret
- 24. GE|Adults|Elementary|24. Haunted houses
- 25. GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
- 26. GE|Adults|Elementary|26. How much healthy food do you eat?
- 27. GE|Adults|Elementary|27. The magic luck of numbers
- 28. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 1: Travelling by plane
- 29. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
- 30. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
- 31. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 4: How can I get to the theatre?
- 32. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 5: Enjoy your meal!
- 33. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 1-6
- 34. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 7-12
- 35. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 13-18
- 36. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 19-24