GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
1.1 Look at the picture. Name the objects you know.
1.2 Discuss the questions with your teacher.
1. What are you wearing today?
2. What are the most comfortable clothes for you?
1.1 Look at the picture, read and translate Clothes Vocabulary. What do you prefer to wear? Why? What`s your favorite season?
1.2 Match the pictures and the words.
1.3 Read and number.
Listening and Speaking
1.1 Read the phrases. Then, listen and practise them in the dialogue with your teacher.
- Can I help you? – Могу я вам помочь?
- Are you looking for something in particular? – Вы ищете что-то конкретное?
- Could you help me? – Вы не могли бы мне помочь?
- How much is this / it? How much does this / it cost? – Сколько это стоит?
- How much is that … in the window? – Сколько стоит этот … на витрине?
- That’s cheap / expensive. – Это дешево/ дорого.
- That’s a good value. – Это подходящая цена.
- Do you have this in large / small? – У вас есть этот товар большего / меньшего размера?
- Here you are. – Вот, пожалуйста. (Возьмите.)
- Changing room. – Примерочная
- Sorry, we don’t sell them. – Извините, мы их не продаём.
- Sorry, we don’t have any left. – Извините, их не осталось.
- I’m looking for … – Я ищу ….
- What colour would you like? – Какой цвет Вы бы хотели?
- It’s a nice colour. – Красивый цвет.
- What material are they? – Из чего они сделаны?
- Do you deliver? – Вы делаете доставку?
- I’ll take it / this / them. – Я это / его / её / их возьму.
- Anything else? – Что-то ещё?
- Would you like anything else? / Anything else? / Did you want anything else? – Желаете что-нибудь ещё?
- Please pay at the check-out. – Пожалуйста, оплатите товар в кассе.
- I’ll take this to the check-out for you. – Я отнесу Ваш товар на кассу.
2.1 Listen to the conversations ‘At a Clothes Shop’. Fill in the gaps. Then practise them with your teacher. Have you ever had the same situations? If ‘yes’, tell about it.
1. Trying on Clothes
Assistant = A
Jane = J
3.1 Listen to the dialogue between Michael and a shop assistant. Then, answer the questions.
1. What’s Michael looking for?
2. Did Michael go to the changing room?.
3. Are there any discounts at the shop today?
4. Has Michael decided to buy the trousers?
5. How did he pay?
4.1 Match the columns to make phrases. Then listen and check.
Can I help you?
5.1 Discuss the questions with your teacher.
1. How often do you go shopping?
2. Do you go shopping alone or with your friend?
3. Do you like to buy clothes online?
4. Is it difficult for you to choose anything really good?
1.1 Read the topic ‘Facts about shopping’. Did you know the facts? Which do you agree/disagree with?
A study done recently by GE Money said that women spend over 8 years of their life shopping. According to the study, women spend about 400 hours each year shopping. Almost a quarter of that time is spent doing grocery shopping for food. Luckily, Million Looks magazine says that shopping can be a good thing, and they give some interesting facts about women and shopping. The magazine says that women who shop for more than 17 hours a week are slimmer and healthier than those who spend less time shopping. The magazine also claims that women who shop more often look and feel much younger than those who dislike shopping. Finally, they say that most women who enjoy shopping are more confident and happier.
We cannot be sure if these things are true, but one thing that is definitely true is shopping is big business. There are now about 50,000 shopping malls in the United States alone, and the average person spends $75 each time they visit a mall. The shopping malls also try their best to encourage people to spend as much as possible, and stay in the mall as long as possible. Escalators are placed so people using them pass the many different stores. You may have also noticed that places to sit in malls are hard to find. This is because people can’t spend money when they are sitting down!
1.2 Look at the words in bold in the text. Do you know them? Try to find the Russian equivalent. Make the sentences with some of them.
1.3 Answer the questions.
1. How many years of their life do women spend shopping?
2. Is shopping a good or a bad thing?
3. Is there a difference between women who shop more or less than 17 hours a week?
4. How much does the average American spend each time he/she visits a mall?
5. Why is it so hard to find places to sit in malls?
1.4 Mark the true sentences. If the sentence is false, say why it is false.
1.1 Rewrite the sentences using ‘can’ or ‘can`t’.
1.2 Put the verb in Present Simple or Present Continuous.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Speak the words in English. Use the articles a/an.
*Произнеси слова на английском языке. Используй артикли a/an.
2.1 Prapare your 1-2-minute speech on the topic «What do you prefer to wear?».
*Подготовь свою 1-2-минутную речь на тему «Что ты предпочитаешь носить?».
Tell us, what do you prefer to wear in winter, spring, summer, autumn. What is tour favoutite clothes?
*Расскажи, что ты любишь носить зимой, весной, летом, осенью. Какая твоя любимая одежда?
- Listening and Speaking
- 1. GE|Adults|Elementary|1. Let's meet again!
- 2. GE|Adults|Elementary|2. To be, countries
- 3. GE|Adults|Elementary|3. Can you repeat that, please?
- 4. GE|Adults|Elementary|4. Daily routines
- 5. GE|Adults|Elementary|5. Can you describe it?
- 6. GE|Adults|Elementary|6. Feelings and emotions. How do you feel?
- 7. GE|Adults|Elementary|7. I usually do?
- 8. GE|Adults|Elementary|8. Occupations
- 9. GE|Adults|Elementary|9. Asking questions. Dating
- 10. GE|Adults|Elementary|10. Family
- 11. GE|Adults|Elementary|11. Daily activities
- 12. GE|Adults|Elementary|12. Adverbs and expressions of frequency
- 13. GE|Adults|Elementary|13. Can you sing?
- 14. GE|Adults|Elementary|14. Stop making that noise!
- 15. GE|Adults|Elementary|15. What's the weather like today?
- 16. GE|Adults|Elementary|16. Let's read in English
- 17. GE|Adults|Elementary|17. Pastimes we love
- 18. GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
- 19. GE|Adults|Elementary|19. A mistake!
- 20. GE|Adults|Elementary|20. People who made a different
- 21. GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
- 22. GE|Adults|Elementary|22. The case of a room murder
- 23. GE|Adults|Elementary|23. A house with a secret
- 24. GE|Adults|Elementary|24. Haunted houses
- 25. GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
- 26. GE|Adults|Elementary|26. How much healthy food do you eat?
- 27. GE|Adults|Elementary|27. The magic luck of numbers
- 28. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 1: Travelling by plane
- 29. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
- 30. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
- 31. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 4: How can I get to the theatre?
- 32. GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 5: Enjoy your meal!
- 33. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 1-6
- 34. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 7-12
- 35. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 13-18
- 36. GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 19-24