GE|Adults|Upper-Int|18. I wish…
Listen to five people and put the statements about each speaker in the right order
Listen again. Why do the speakers mention or say the following?
- «Mercedes and Bosch.» «It would have opened doors for me.»
- «The top and skirt I wore were really skimpy.»
- «The Russian revolution.» «Old letters.»
- «I really fancied him.» «Now it’s too late.»
- «I just did the bare minimum.» «This was a unique opportunity.»
Read about the website below. Do you identify with any of the regrets?
Psychologists at Cambridge University have been researching things that people regret about their lives. These were some of the things people wrote:
Look at the underlined phrasal verbs with go from the article about Paula Wilcox. What do you think they mean?
Once you find out what’s really going on, the whole relationship can change. If you are offered the opportunity to do something you have never done before, go for it.
Complete the questions with the correct words
Write something in at least seven of your boxes. Then explain to your teacher what you have written
- In box 1, write something you wish you had learned to do when you were younger.
- In box 2, write something annoying you wish someone in your family wouldn’t do.
- In box 3, write something you wish you hadn’t bought recently.
- In box 4, write something you wish you could change about your personality.
- In box 5, write the name of a famous person you wish you could meet.
- In box 6, write the name of a language you wish you could speak.
- In box 7, write somewhere you wish you could go on holiday, but probably won’t be able to.
- In box 8, write something you wish you had more of.
- In box 9, write an activity you wish you didn’t have to do in your English class.
- In box 10, write the name of a film you wish you had seen at the cinema (not at home).
Now swap roles. Ask your teacher to explain what he or she has written.
Listen to the song. Are the phrases in bold right or wrong? Put a tick (✓) or a cross (✗)
If I could turn back time
Example: If I could turn back time ✓
Chorus (If I could turn back time…)
Chorus (If I could turn back time. …If I could reach the stars…)
Listen again, correct and rewrite the wrong phrases
Listen to the song again and read the lyrics with the glossary. What does the singer wish she had/hadn’t done and what does she wish she could do?
If I could turn back time was made famous by the American singer Cher on her best-selling album Heart of Stone. The video for this song was filmed on board the American warship USS Missouri.
Complete the sentences with a verb from the list in the past simple or add would/wouldn’t + infinitive
not have to / leave / stop raining / not borrow / earn / not wear /
be taller / have
Complete the sentences with the verbs from the list in the past perfect
not break / be born /
not fight / buy / not tell / have
Complete the sentences with the correct grammar form of an expression from the list
go back on / go far / go on / go through / go with / go without / go wrong
Complete the sentences with would / wouldn’t and a verb from the list
leave / let / tidy / stop raining / do / not borrow / not make / not wear
Complete the sentences with the verbs from the list in the past simple or past perfect
be / earn / have /
not argue / not be / not shout / not tell / try on
Read the article. Complete it with the missing sentences. Look at the highlighted words and phrases. Use your dictionary to look up their meaning and pronunciation
- When American journalist Kathryn Schulz was 29, she decided to get a tattoo.
- Since then, Ms Schulz has found two ways of dealing with her regret.
- Apart from these four components, Ms Schulz also felt pain.
- Despite not having the effect that she had intended, Ms Schulz’s tattoo has served to remind her of something else.
- Ms Schulz experienced all four components of regret that night.
- Ms Schulz’s tattoo is a compass.
Write in the gaps only the number of the sentence
Read the whole text again and mark the sentences as True or False
Use the highlighted words or phrases from the text (in the previous step) to complete the definitions
- Regrets, regrets
- Family, lifestyle, education
- Expressions with go
- If I could turn back time
- Wrong lines
- Grammar exercises
- Expressions with go
- I wish
- Our wishes
- Words, words