Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
Uses of the infinitive
«To» is a short word, but it can express a lot
Do you want to learn how to make soap at home?
It’s really easy to make it if you have the right ingredients. You need to find olive oil, palm oil, shea butter, some water and sodium hydroxide. Add lemon oil to make the soap scented. Use safety equipment and try not to touch anything without gloves.
|Infinitive (the basic verb form)|
|+||I want to visit my niece.
«to visit» = positive form
|—||He tries not to miss classes.
«not to miss» = negative form
It’s easy to make soap at home.
It’ll be nice to meet new people at the party.
🔹To say why you do something
Add lemon oil to make the soap scented.
Mike needs some money to buy a new phone.
🔹After certain verbs which have to be memorised:
would like to
be able to
I decided not to stay at this hotel.
He promised to help me out.
*start can be used with both the infinitive and Ving with no real difference in meaning
Give the correct infinitive form of these verbs (do not use ‘to’ and do not capitalize the verbs)
Click on the words to build sentences
Make a new sentence using the verb in brackets
Read and mark the sentences as correct or incorrect
Complete the sentences with the following verbs
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple