Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
Verb + «-ing»
Do you enjoy learning English? Do you mind learning all the words and rules?
I don’t mind helping my family with chores, but I really dislike washing the dishes.
Spending our holidays together was the best idea we’ve ever had.
I’m not very good at skiing. It’s hard to ski without training first.
♦ Gerund = V+ing
I am interested in collecting coins.
|Gerund (as a subject) + verb||Verb/adjective + preposition + gerund||Verb + gerund|
|Knitting is Alice’s favourite hobby.||I am interested in collecting coins.||Jack gave up playing tennis years ago.
Some verbs can be followed by both gerund and infinitive without change in meaning.
|hate||I hate waiting in queues.
I hate to wait in queues.
|like||Sam likes watching football.
Sam likes to watch football.
|love||Ally loves cooking for her family.
Ally loves to cook for her family.
|start||I started collecting coins last year.
I started to collect coins last year.
We stopped to read the advertisement. (Reading is the reason for us to stop what we were doing).
We stopped reading the advertisement and continued our journey. (Reading is the action we stopped).
Choose the correct preposition from the hints and fill in the verb in brackets as a Gerund into the appropriate gap
Put in the verbs in brackets in the Gerund or the to-infinitive
Choose the correct form (infinitive with or without to or gerund)
Complete the following article with gerund or to—infinitive forms of the indicated verbs
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple