Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
Present continuous for future arrangements
Using the present continuous to talk about the future
The present continuous is used to talk about arrangements for events at a time later than now. There is a suggestion that more than one person is aware of the event, and that some preparation has already happened.
I’m meeting Jim at the airport = Jim and I have discussed this.
I am leaving tomorrow. = I’ve already bought my train ticket.
We’re having a staff meeting next Monday = all members of staff have been told about it.
• Is she seeing him tomorrow?
• He isn’t working next week.
• They aren’t leaving until the end of next year.
• We are staying with friends when we get to Boston.
Note: In the first example, «seeing» is used in a continuous form because it means «meeting».
Notice the difference between:
a. We’re having a staff meeting next Monday = just that once
b. We have a staff meeting every Monday
Choose the most appropriate future forms to complete the dialogues below. Choose future simple or present continuous where possible
Choose the most appropriate future forms for the sentences below
Fill in the gaps with the most appropriate future forms: present continuous, will or be going to
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple