Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
Comparative adjectives and adverbs
Adjectives describe nouns, adverbs describe actions
Canada is bigger than China, although the population of China is larger. The Canadians are happier than other cultures.
China’s economy is more powerful. The Chinese language is more difficult than English. Chinese people drive worse than Canadians.
(most end in -ly)
*words ending in -y
|Long words||more important
|Irregular forms||good — better
bad — worse
far — further/farther
|well — better
badly — worse
little — less
much/many — more
early — earlier
➢ Mind doubled letters: bigger, fitter
➢ Change -y into -ier: funny — funnier
➢ Some words have 2 comparative forms:
more common — commoner
more narrow — narrower
more clever — cleverer
🔹Use comparative adjectives + than with people/things
Canada is bigger than China.
This story is more interesting than the previous one.
I‘m taller than you.
🔹Use comparative adverbs after actions
I drive more safely than my wife.
We travel more often than our grandparents.
🔹Use (not) as _____ as to make comparisons. Don’t change adverbs and adjectives.
Kate learns as fast as Tom.
These glasses are as good as my old ones.
Fill in the comparative form of the adjectives
Fill in the comparative form of the adverbs
The following words end in -ly. Are they adjectives, adverbs or both? Click the correct checkboxes
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple