Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
If I take the short road, I will get there quicker. But it will be less dangerous if I take the long road.
If I take the bus to the cinema, I will be late. If I’m late, Alice will get angry. And if Alice gets angry, the evening will be ruined! I’ll get a taxi.
|If + subject + present tense,||subject + future simple|
If I have time, I will help you.
If Mark eats more healthy food, he will lose some weight.
! You can use be going to/might/may/can/etc. instead of will
If you don’t hurry, we’re going to miss the plane.
If you ask Jane, she can help you.
If we call a taxi, we might get there sooner.
! The order of the parts does not matter. But if we put the condition first, we separate it with a comma.
If the weather is nice, we’ll go to the beach. = We’ll go to the beach if the weather is nice.
🔹Use it to talk about possible situations in the future.
If I get this job, I will be very happy.
If it rains tomorrow, Jack will take a taxi to work.
I will be very angry if Steven doesn’t call me.
🔹If or When?
If I go shopping, I will buy you a new pen. (I’m not sure I’ll go shopping) = Condition
When I go shopping, I will buy you a new pen. (I will definitely go shopping) = Time when it will happen
🔹You can use Imperative in the main part to give orders and instructions.
Call me if you need anything.
If you see a bag on the street, don’t touch it!
Rewrite the sentences and use the first conditional. Keep the same meaning
Complete the sentences with the verbs in brackets
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple