Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
If you could travel to any time in history, where would you go?
Dan wants a new laptop to play video games, but he doesn’t have much money. If he had more money, he would buy a new laptop. He would have more money if he worked harder. But if he worked harder, he wouldn’t have time to play video games. And if he didn’t play video games, he wouldn’t need a new laptop.
|If + subject + Past Simple,||subject + would + infinitive|
If I had a million dollars, I would give it all to charity.
If Andy wasn’t so busy, he would spend more time travelling.
! You can use might/could instead of would.
If you weren’t busy, we could watch a film.
If you told Jane about your problem, she might be able to help you.
! The order of the parts does not matter. But if the condition goes first, we separate it with a comma.
If I had time today, I would go to the museum. = I would go to the museum if I had the time today.
🔹Use it to talk about unlikely or imaginary situations in the present or the future.
If John didn’t have three children, he wouldn’t be so tired all the time.
If Sally worked harder, she would become a Managing Director.
🔹Use «If I were you» to give advice.
If I were you, I would try to get along with your boss.
I wouldn’t eat that If I were you.
Use the words in brackets to complete the sentences with the second conditional forms
There is one mistake in each sentence. Find it and correct it. Keep the short or long forms
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple