Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
Questions can be built in 2 different ways
Can you answer these questions?
• Why do some people learn faster than others?
• When did you have your first English class?
• Who taught you how to write?
• Which subject made you stressed?
|Special questions||Question to the subject||General questions|
|Question word + Auxiliary verb + Subject + Main Verb||Question word + Main verb||Auxiliary verb + Subject + Main Verb|
|When did you buy this dress?||Who works at the hospital?||Do you like chocolate?|
🔹Add do/does/did before the subject in the question when you ask about details (special information)
When did you have your first English class?
Where does he find interesting books?
— What are you reading?
— A book.
🔹Keep the main verb only (without do/does/did) if there’s no subject in the question except for wh-words (who/what/which) Who — for people, What — for things
— Who taught you how to write?
— My mom did.
— Who knows more about old cars?
— Mike does.
🔹Start your Yes/No question with an auxiliary verb when you ask about general information
— Do you speak Chinese?
— Yes, I do. / No, I don’t.
Make questions with who or what
1. Somebody hit me.
2. I hit somebody.
Who hit you?
Who did you hit?
Put the words in the correct order and make questions
Choose the correct questions using the following prompts. You should ask a question about the word highlighted
Complete the following sentences using do, does or did
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple