Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
It’s a simple form to talk about past actions
One man wanted to climb Mont Blanc, the mountain in the Alps, but he didn’t get to the top. He decided to give money to anyone who could do it. In 1786 two men, Balmat and Paccard, reached the top and won the money.
|+||V + ed||V2||I/he/she/it was
|—||did not (didn’t) + V1||did not (didn’t) + V1||was not (wasn’t)
were not (weren’t)
|?||Did … + V1?||Did … + V1?||Was/Were…?|
• There are 2 types of past simple verbs — regular and irregular. Regular verbs take -ed, irregular verbs have to be learnt.
• Use was/were when there is no verb of the first form (V1), e.g. They were not at the seaside.
🔹To talk about finished actions in the past
He decided to give money to another climber. (regular verb)
They won the money. (irregular verb)
Did you take the computer back to the shop last week?
I didn’t read this book at school.
Write the Past Simple form of these verbs
Complete the sentences with the Past Simple of the verbs in brackets
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple