Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
May or Might and Infinitive (Possibility)
This rule may be a bit hard. Or it might be very easy. Let’s find out!
What are you going to do tomorrow, Tom? — I don’t know. I might watch a film. I might play tennis. I’ll decide tomorrow.
Rebecca feels very sick this morning. She might not go to work today because she may be ill.
+ May/might + bare infinitive
Take an umbrella, it may rain today.
Sue might call me this evening.
— May/might + not + bare infinitive
Alex might not come to my birthday party.
Susan may not be at home right now.
! Unlike many modal verbs, may and might don’t form short versions with «not».
May + not ➞
Might + not ➞
• Use may/might to talk about present and future possibilities:
Our family might go to France for holidays, so we may not be able to come to your party.
Alice may be in a traffic jam. That’s why she’s late.
• May shows a slightly higher degree of certainty than might.
Do the tasks
Complete the sentences. Use may/might
- May or Might
- 1. Grammar video|Pre-Int|1. May or Might
- 2. Grammar video|Pre-Int|2. Modal Verbs (Have to, Don't have to, Must, Mustn't)
- 3. Grammar video|Pre-Int|3. Should, shouldn't
- 4. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|4. Questions With and Without Auxiliaries
- 5. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|5. Word Order in Questions
- 6. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|6. Conjunctions
- 7. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|7. Relative Clauses
- 8. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|8. Reported Speech
- 9. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|9. Expressing Movements
- 10. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|10. Passive voice
- 11. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|11. Phrasal Verbs
- 12. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|12. So Neither + Auxiliary
- 13. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|13. Used to
- 14. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|14. Uses of the infinitive
- 15. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|15. Verb + ing
- 16. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|16. Present Simple
- 17. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|17. Past Simple
- 18. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|18. Present Continuous
- 19. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|19. Past Continuous
- 20. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|20. Present Perfect
- 21. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|21. Be going to
- 22. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|22. Will
- 23. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|23. Present Continuous for Future
- 24. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|24. Quantifiers
- 25. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|25. Something, anything, nothing, etc.
- 26. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|26. Comparatives
- 27. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|27. Superlatives
- 28. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|28. First Conditional
- 29. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|29. Second Conditional
- 30. Grammar Video|Pre-Int|30. Past Perfect Simple