Teens|Grammar activating|El|16. Going back in time
Look at the pictures and choose the country
Match the words with the pictures
Correct the words in the sentences
Read the text and choose if the sentences are True or False
In AD 79, Pompeii was a large town in Italy, with a population of about 20,000. On the evening of August 24th, there was a very big volcanic eruption. The eruption destroyed the town.
Today Pompeii is an open-air museum and it’s very popular with tourists. The town is in ruins, but you can still see the remains of the ancient streets and houses. You can imagine life 2,000 years ago! You can also see people preserved by the boiling volcanic ash with terrified expressions on their faces.
Before the eruption, Pompeii was a very busy town, and the people were rich. There were shops, squares, schools and markets. There was an enormous amphitheatre — a type of sports stadium. The amphitheatre was a very important place in the town. On special days it was full of people, gladiators and lions. It wasn’t a very safe place to go!
Complete the sentences
Choose the correct option to complete the blog
Put the words in the correct order to make questions. Answer the questions
- Were you in Pompeii last summer?
- Where was Anna last summer?
Listen to the recording and choose the correct answers
Listen to the recording again and complete the sentences
Make sentences about a Roman insula
Make sentences about the streets in the past
Listen to the dialogue and put the words in the right columns
Read the rules and the examples
Word order in questions
|Was there a stadium?
Were there any people?
|Yes, there was.
No, there wasn’t.Yes, there were.
No, there weren’t.
|How many buildings
|near the forum?
on the wall?
- Were there any supermarkets? — No, there weren’t.
- Was there a cinema? — Yes, there was.
Make questions and interview the teacher
supermarkets / fast food / cafes / swimming pools / lot of cars / shopping centres / trees / posters / tall buildings
clean / dirty / green / cosy / noisy / quiet
Read the rules and make your questions
- Imagine you are going to interview your history teacher.
- Choose a period you would like to learn about.
- Write your questions to find out about the period.
I would like to find out more about
a) Ancient Egypt.
b) Ancient China.
c) the history of the USA.
Example: What transport was there in Ancient Egypt? Were there horses?
Complete the table with the words from the box
Read and remember the rule
Remember how we use different prepositions and time expressions
- We use on with days;
- We use in with seasons and the words morning, evening, afternoon;
- We use at with exact times and the words weekend, night.
We can also use the expressions with the words last and ago:
✔️ last night / winter / summer
2 hours / one year ago
The things you have learnt today
- use «was/were» while speaking about the past;
- talk about places and events in the past;
- make questions to find out about the period in the past.
- use the prepositions of time (at, in, on) and the words «last», «ago» correctly.
Choose the correct options
Rewrite the sentences in Past Simple
Listen to the dialogue and tick the things the speaker talked about
Read and complete the text. Listen to the recording to check your answers
Match the halves of the sentences
Complete the sentences with the prepositions in, on, at
Think about the place where you were on your holiday
Answer the questions:
- What was the place?
- Where was it?
- Were you with family?
- What things were there?
- Was it nice?
- Was it friendly?
Write about the place you were in. Use the questions as a plan
Советы по написанию задания:
- Прочитайте внимательно задание и вопросы.
- Составьте план того, о чем хотите написать.
- Напишите текст по составленному плану.
- Перечитайте написанный текст перед отправкой на проверку.
- Здесь вы найдете правила написания и пример задания.
- Воспользуйтесь программой Grammarly, которая поможет избежать опечаток и исправит некоторые грамматические ошибки.
- Ancient times
- Going to Pompeii
- It was a great day
- An ancient Roman town
- Ancient lives
- 50 years ago
- Was there a swimming pool?
- Ask about the past
- Times and dates
- What I can do
- It was cold
- Tim's holiday
- Ancient Rome
- When's the party?
- Where were you?
- 1. Teens|Grammar activating|El|1. Welcome to school
- 2. Teens|Grammar activating|El|2. This is my world
- 3. Teens|Grammar activating|El|3. Lost and found
- 4. Teens|Grammar activating|El|4. Family portraits
- 5. Teens|Grammar activating|El|5. The place where you live
- 6. Teens|Grammar activating|El|6. My dream room
- 7. Teens|Grammar activating|El|7. It’s time for lunch!
- 8. Teens|Grammar activating|El|8. Shopping for food
- 9. Teens|Grammar activating|El|9. Let's cook
- 10. Teens|Grammar activating|El| Revise and check 1
- 11. Teens|Grammar activating|El|11. Different lives
- 12. Teens|Grammar Activating|El|12. All the things we like
- 13. Teens|Grammar activating|El|13. The chocolate factory
- 14. Teens|Grammar activating|El|14. My favourite photos
- 15. Teens|Grammar activating|El|15. A day without a mobile
- 16. Teens|Grammar activating|El|16. Going back in time
- 17. Teens|Grammar activating|El|17. Stars
- 18. Teens|Grammar activating|El|18. School is cool
- 19. Teens|Grammar activating|El|19. Ancient civilisations
- 20. Teens|Grammar activating|El|20. Revise and check 2
- 21. Teens|Grammar activating|El|21. Talent show
- 22. Teens|Grammar activating|El|22. Safe cities
- 23. Teens|Grammar activating|El|23. Life now and then
- 24. Teens|Grammar activating|El|24. How to escape from housework
- 25. Teens|Grammar activating|El|25. Similar or different?
- 26. Teens|Grammar activating|El|26. The best in class
- 27. Teens|Grammar activating|El|27. Around the world in 50 minutes
- 28. Teens|Grammar activating|El|28. Revise and check 3